Officials at the Golden Corral 500 tried to wait out the large front, but the rain kept coming and the announcement was finally made after 2½ hours.
NASCAR rescheduled the Nextel Cup event for 11 a.m., but the National Weather Service forecast called for a 70 percent chance of rain today and a 30 percent chance of rain Tuesday morning.
The last time a Cup race was postponed by rain was at the Atlanta track in October 2003. It was run on a Monday.
This is tough right here, said Cup star Elliott Sadler. Mentally and physically, youre trying to get ready for the race and get prepared, but you dont know whether its going to happen.
The weather for (today) doesnt look that good, either. Its tough on everybody, not only us but the crews and the guys who are going through trying to get the cars inspected in the rain and the fans. Its just a tough day.
The delay also postponed the Cup debut of Bill Lester, the first black driver to qualify for a race in NASCARs top series since Willy T. Ribbs in 1986.
Lester drew a big cheer during Sundays prerace introductions and spent much of the morning surrounded by photographers and well-wishers.
This is really exciting, said Lester, a longtime regular in NASCARs Craftsman Truck Series. I can hardly wait to get started racing.