The couple who lived in the home was cooking when the power went out, Owens said.
According to Owens:
They thought the stove was off but when they power came back on, the stove caught fire.
The couple was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom. The man, who has not been identified, made it down the stairs but the woman went back to get a dog.
She had to jump out of a window to escape the fire.
Owens said the dog jumped out of the woman's arms in the house and apparently didn't survive.
A former mill house in Lindale that had been converted into duplex apartments was destroyed by fire late Thursday night, and two residents had to jump from a second story window to escape the blaze.
Callers alerted 911 to the fire at about 11:50 p.m. Thursday and told officials two people were trapped inside at 6 W. Second Ave.
According to Battalion Chief Troy Brock of the Rome-Floyd Fire Department:
The two residents had jumped from a second story window before first responders arrived. He said they were being treated at Floyd Medical Center, but he did not know about their injuries.
Brock said the structure was fully involved when several fire crews arrived on the scene. They were able to contain the blaze quickly and fully extinguish the flames in less than an hour.
He said not know the cause of the fire but said it appeared it may have started on the lower floor of the building.
Neighbor Summer Crocker said she does not know the residents who were at home at the time of the fire because they only moved in recently. She said the residents on the other side of the duplex are currently on vacation.