To explore further see scanned pdf documents of Rome's Tri Weekly Courier.
Week ending date Saturday, April 26, 1862
The 8th Georgia Regiment reported on their march from Orange Court House and Freder-icksburg. With rain, sleet and cold they reported “we have had three miserable nights in succession…” and had no idea where they were destined. They arrived at Lebanon Church near Yorktown after traveling by canal boat and schooners propelled by steam tugs. The federal troops had been shelling Yorktown and the 8th was expecting to engage 160,000 Federal troops.
The news from Camp Tatnall near Savannah was that General Jackson had detailed a squad of men to arrest every man in citizen’s dress within the city and march them to his headquarters where he could determine why they were not serving in the war effort.
The several militia districts were requested by county leaders to organize companies of young and old “for home purposes“, to elect officers and to have them report to City Hall on May 6th.
The correspondence from the Cherokee Artillery at Cumberland Gap indicated that all was quiet but the troops were “fast degenerating, for this is a land where washerwomen and seamstresses and cobblers never come.” The Eastern section of Tennessee did not support the confederate cause and were loyal to the Union.
The Confederate Congress passed a conscript law to “provide for the public defence [sic]” It applied to all “white men who are residents of the Confederate States, between the ages of 18 and 35 years” They are required to serve “for three years unless the war shall have been sooner ended.”
An advertisement by a local druggist, P. L. Turnley, stated they he, like other merchants, was being forced into the cash system as those who he had extended credit to were not pay-ing their “accounts promptly at the end of six and twelve months.” Other merchants were advertising they would take cotton, bacon, corn in payment of debts.
Week ending date Saturday, April 19, 1862
This week the Rome Tri Weekly Courier carried the story of what is known today as the “Great Locomotive Chase.” The chase that occurred on April 12 used the “Rome Road Engine” to pursue “the scoundrels.” Captain Smith of the Rome Road was mentioned as one of the principles in the chase.
Word from the 8th Georgia Regiment described their march from Orange Court House to Camp Winder near Richmond, Va. Their march started at on a Thursday at 5 P.M. and was temporarily halted at 3 A.M. “The Blue Ridge in full view was white with snow, and the stiff breeze from that direction seemed naught but rarified ice itself.” They reached Camp Winder Saturday Morning. By Sunday noon it was reported that they were to proceed to Yorktown. At one point in the correspondence Abe Lincoln was referred to as the “rail-splitter of Yankeedoodledom.”
A new cavalry company was formed by Messrs. Booton and Harkins and other companies were still seeking volunteers. At the same time the Confederacy was taking steps that would lead to conscription of “every man of proper age.”
Week ending date Saturday, April 12, 1862
A county wide meeting was held to discuss “high and inaccessible prices…of provisions, and the absolute necessaries of life.“ Col. James Word Chaired the meeting and R.D. Harvey acted as Secretary. It was resolved that prices should be reduced and goods not sold to speculators and “the time has arrived, when the great business of every man should be to fight or feed, according to his physical ability…”
The master roll of the Cave Spring Rangers was published showing M. H. Haynie as Captain. Thirteen other officers were listed as well as fifty-eight privates.
The vestry of St, Peters Church tendered their bell to be made into ordinance for Yeiser’s Light Battery.
During the week of Jan 11 the Rome Tri Weekly Courier published a letter from their correspondent stationed in Savannah which talked of “sin and wickedness (that) prevails to a great extent in this camp.” That letter resulted in the Court Martial of that soldier. Correspondence this week indicated he was awaiting the results of that trial.
Week ending date Saturday, April 5, 1862
Before Captain Haynie’s cavalry company, The Cave Spring Rangers, left for camp they were presented with a silken banner by Misses Gill, Haynie and Simmons.
The Rome Light Guards, a company of the 8th Georgia Regiment, arrived in Orange Court House and were joined by Lieut. Col. J.R. Towers who brought six or eight recruits for the Miller Rifles. Major Magruder visited on his way back to his company. An observation by the correspondent was that whiskey drinking has been nearly stopped as it is almost impossible to get. “This is a good move, and it would be still better if commanding officers found it as difficult to obtain as private soldiers do.”
A notice from Captain J.L. Kerr announced that the Highland Rangers had been ordered to Camp McDonald and were to leave Rome April 4th.
The Young ladies of the Rome Female College scheduled a fund raising concert to raise money for the Georgia Gunboat Fund.
The results of the battle at Cumberland Gap involving the Cherokee Artillery and other companies of the 3rd Battalion indicated that the enemy were compelled to withdraw. “This being the first fight in which we were engaged, we must confess that our ‘first impressions’ were somewhat peculiar…that indescribable whiz of flying bombs…speeding over and around us on their mission of death.”
The Rev. J.T. Montgomery, in addition to forming a new regiment of artillery also advocated that churches donate their bells and send them to the Noble Foundry to be made into artillery pieces. “The Methodist Church bell is at his service by unanimous voice of the congregation.” Bells were received from Griffin at the foundry this week also.
Click here to read 150 years ago in March 1862.